A basic responsibility of any Human Resource department is to efficiently and accurately manage employee leave. Leave Management Software has the following areas of concern:
- How many types of leaves can employees avail in my company?
- What leaves are mandatory from a statutory compliance viewpoint?
- What is the policy for each type of leave in terms of its granting, availing, lapsing, encashment, etc.?
- How are leave balances of all employees kept track of?
- How do we enforce leave policy for all employees uniformly and consistently?
- How do employees know the company policy?
- How do employees find out their leave balances?
- How do employees or their managers inform of the leave taken and how are their balances updated?
- How are earned leave balances updated for all employees annually or at the end of each completed month?
The term Leave refers to leave of absence or a vacation from work. Technically, it is a term used to describe a period of time that one has to be away from primary job while maintaining the status of employee. This term is in contrast to normal periods away from the workplace such as vacations, holidays and sabbaticals.
Therefore, there is a lot of thinking and work that needs to be done if we are to professionally handle Leave Management. We can break up the activity into a variety of sub-concerns:
- Leave policy design (different leave types and leave rules)
- Granting of leaves (increase leave balance of employees by certain amount of days)
- Tracking leaves taken (quantum of leave days, when, and the reason)
- Year end activities such as lapsing leave, automatic leave encashment, and carry forward of leave balances
- Providing leave information to employees such as leave card balances and leave details
- Preparing MIS reports
- Leave analytics such as absenteeism, top leave takers or leave liability, etc.